Clare Moody is looking for an enthusiastic and committed stagiaire (intern) to work in her office in the European Parliament in Brussels.
The salary will be paid in Euro, in line with the starting at Grade 1 as per the European Parliament payscale.
The post would ideally start on the 3rd October, and will last for 6 months, with a possibility of an extension.
The role will give a successful applicant the opportunity to gain highly valuable work experience and provide an insight into the internal operation of the European Parliament and the work of Clare Moody and the other Labour MEPs at this crucial time. The successful applicant will work alongside Clare and her existing staff.
- Helping to manage the Brussels and Strasbourg diaries
- Researching & responding to constituency casework
- Planning and booking travel
- Helping to organise events in the European Parliament
- Media monitoring on issues relevant to Clare's work
- Drafting briefings, articles, parliamentary questions and letters on a range of issues
- Welcoming visitors & stakeholders to the office
- Dealing with all communications to the office, including telephone calls, emails, faxes and mail
- Liaising with and supporting other members of staff in Brussels & the UK
- Other general administrative tasks as required
- The intern will also have the opportunity to shadow experienced Parliamentary Assistants in their work on the Budget Committee; Industry, Technology Research and Energy Committee; and the Women’s Rights and Gender Equalities Committee.
The following attributes are essential
- Committed to the aims and values of the Labour Party
- An understanding of the EU legislative process and the role of MEPs
- Strong organisational, administrative, inter-personal and communication skills, and fully computer literate
- Strong writing skills
- Able to live and work independently abroad
- Able to fit in with the demands of work in the European Parliament, to adapt to new areas of work, and willing to travel as and when required to Strasbourg and the UK
- Able to keep confidences, be reliable, conscientious and loyal
- Able to work independently and in a small team
- Enjoy working in a multicultural environment
The following attributes would be useful but are not essential
- Labour Party membership, or membership of one of the Labour Party's sister parties.
- Good French and/or other EU language
- Good university degree in a relevant subject
- Some relevant professional experience
- Knowledge of Clare's work, and the work of Labour MEPs as a whole
- Knowledge, understanding, and recent experience of Labour politics, including any work for a Labour politician
- Knowledge of the South West & Gibraltar Region
- Campaigning experience
- Trade Union membership
Please apply by email by 12:00 midday 19 August 2016 to clare.moody(at)ep.europa.eu with “*Your name* Stagiaire Application” in the subject line.
Please attach to the email:
- an up to date CV (maximum 2 A4 sides)
- a covering letter (maximum 1 A4 side) explaining how you fit the person description above
- contact details of two referees
Short-listed candidates may be required to pass a telephone interview before being invited for a face to face interview.
Face to face interviews for applicants already based in Brussels will be on Tuesday 6th September. For applicants based in the UK interviews will be held in London on Thursday 1st September.
Unfortunately, due to the volume of applications expected, we will only be able to respond to short-listed candidates.